Thursday, July 03, 2008

A few of my favorite things


When A tube pops. When A life stops. When I'm feeling sad. I simply remember a few of these things, and then I don't feel so bad.

I am ignoring the obvious here. My daughter, my son, my husband, my extended family not because they do not matter but because they matter so much it seems silly to list them here.

The following are things that make me smile. Always, no matter what. It's a fun list - you should try it.

1. A child's laugh.
Any child. Any laugh.

2. A hanging swing or hammock.
I made a promise to myself that I would never walk by one without stopping and I have kept it. Sort of my version of stopping to smell the flowers.

3. A vast open field.
I cannot pass a huge field without dreaming of the ride I would take across it if I were on horse back.

4. The smell of baking cookies.
Yum.

5. Any song from Annie.
Almost any musical will do this but Annie is sure-fired.

6. A puppy, kitten or any other animal baby.
I like almost every animal in it's baby form. Even lizards are cute when they are tiny.

7. Infants.
Love the sound, smell and sight of them. Always have, always will.

8. Old couples in love.
Even when I wasn't one, I still thought this was such a sweet sweet sight. An elderly couple holding hands will evoke that same "aaaawwww" smile that infants do.

9. A picture of either of my kids as infants. (see 7 and quadruple it)
Okay I couldn't help it. They are damn cute.

10. Nature.
Our planet is this amazing place and I see things every day that amaze and astound me. I am happiest with dirt under my nails and grass under my ass.

11. Vacation.
This includes the planning for and dreaming about stages as well. I am happiest when I know when our next vacation is so I know how long I have til the fun starts.

12. A great book.
A good book will do, but a great book? That can make my year.

13. Motown music.
My parents were huge motown fans (still are) and almost any song from that era will make me smile and groove. My kids will most likely be Motown fans too. Great stuff.

I'm sure there's more but this is where I stop. To do one of my other favorite things - read blogs.

And so of course I challenge you to think about your favorite things. This was a fun list to write and I invite you to do the same.

Again, happy 4th!

1 comment:

gigglechirp said...

I don't remember how I came across your blog, but I've been following for a while!

I think I'll try a list of favorite things next.

good wishes,
Jenni