Friday, October 05, 2007

you've got to have faith

I was a huge WHAM! fan.
But this post is about GOD.

This is a topic I have been thinking about lately. Maya asked me about birds and why they fly and why some birds are bigger than others and etc etc etc.

And I thought. "wouldn't it be nice if I could just say - because God made it that way."

So I am formulating my own answers.

I take comfort in the idea that we are all a part of some bigger picture but I am not sure that means I believe in God.

I believe in us.

As a species, a planet, a world.

I believe that we are all are truly connected.

And I don't think that means that we all have the same "father". I think that means we all have the same joys, purposes and end results.

We are all striving toward a better world. For ourselves, for our children.

What that perfect, better world is may change from person to person. Happiness afterall is in the yey of the beholder.

I want my children to understand and be confident in their choices. Not because God tells them what is wrong and right. And ultimately, not because I tell them. But because they have decided their own "commandments" and have decided to live by them.

I want to raise thinking, questioning individuals. And so I have to be prepared with some answers.

"Do you believe in God?"

I guess my answer is that I do not believe in the commonly held belief in God. I do not believe in a judging and "all seeing" God. Beyond that - I just don't know.

And neither does anyone else.

So to my children I say - ask away.

I am still asking.

I will die asking.

More importantly.

I will live asking.

No comments: