Thursday, October 04, 2007

Housecleaners

Apparently on a few blogs there has been some discussion on the ethics of employing someone else to clean your home. Well I want to chime in here. My house cleaner is my hero.

She makes my house this clean smelling sanctum once every two weeks and has ended the constant arguing that my husband and I had on the subject of what clean really is.

He was under the impression that as long as it was straight, it was clean. And I don't care what people say about equality, if you walk into a dirty home you look to the woman of the house and wonder how SHE could live like this.

There are two truths about my house keeping situation.
1. I work outside of the home from 8am-6:30pm Mon - Friday
2. I am sloppy by nature

So I pay someone to come in to:
clean my bathrooms
clean my kitchen
and vacuum my stairs

She and her merry band of three do other stuff too but those are the ones I am happiest about when I come home from work and my house smells like lemony goodness.

So my basic feel is this. If you can afford it, do it. And if you can afford it - tip well at the end of the year.

I would probably pay her to come every week if I was making the only one making that decision, but every other week works for me, for her, and for my husband. And he really enjoys how happy I am each cleaning day.

Oh so here is my works for me thursday (which is in fact my cleaning day!). I always point out to my daughter that the cleaning lady has come and we say "thank you cleaning lady" when we notice something neat and clean. I want her to be appreciative of all the things that people do for her and for us.

It has also back fired because Maya has on more than one occasion blamed the cleaning lady for something missing, broken or moved. Oh well. You do what you can.

Oh and my cleaner's name is Marie and though I have never met her, I love her.

2 comments:

Domestic CEO said...

I'm looking forward to sometime in the future being able to afford to hire someone to clean my house once a week, too - sounds incredible!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm all for having the house cleaned. I think the controversy in the blog discussions was more linked to illegal immigrants who don't get paid well and have no benefits for the work they do.

Soon after we move into our house, the first thing I'm going to do is investigate house cleaners.