Monday, December 03, 2007

Because I made it for you...

So I find that I am seizing opportunities lately to try and instill the values and beliefs that I feel are important. I am working on concepts with my little girl. The challenge is of course trying to speak in ways that she understands about things she has no real idea about...yet. So here is the latest installment.

She offers me her drawing.

"Is it pretty mommy?"

I look at it. And really...it isn't.

Just a lot of different squiggles. BUT.

"do you think it's pretty?" I ask her with a smile.

"what?" is her very confused reply.

So I explain in my "wise mommy" way that my opinion doesn't matter. That what she draws and makes needs only be pretty to her. "That is the great thing about art" I assure her. "only what you think matters because you made it."

And she looks at me with her head tilted. and says...

"But I made it for you."

Well. Then.

"It is beautiful. Thank you sweetheart."

And I wasn't lying. It was beautiful.

No comments: