Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sister Wife

I am reading a book called Escape. It is written by a woman who escaped (hence the title) from the FLDS(fundamentalist latter day saints)community with her eight kids at the age of 35(?). She was married to a 50 something man as his 4th wife at the age of 18.

I have always sort of considered polygamy a victimless crime (kind of like recreational drugs), with the danger factor only enhanced (or even created) by the fact that it is illegal. By this I mean that these women and children, and men, have very little recourse if something happens to them because their lifestyle is illegal.

But I feel a lot differently about this now.

This woman is a victim. Her sisters, brothers, mothers, cousins - all victims. The only difference between her and me - the parents we were born to. And I have to tell you honestly that it's a good thing that it was her and not me because I don't think I would have had the strength, especially after the birth of eight kids.

It is a fascinating read. fascinating. terrifying. disturbing.

And I find myself saying things that start with "they do..." and "they do..." and I hate using the word "they". But I have to say that they are "they", they are not me.

And even though Big Love (love that show) made me wonder (ever so briefly) if it might be nice to have a sister wife sometimes - ACK! Double Ack!

So to those of you out there in bloggerland I say read the book. Be aware of what is going on in Salt Lake City Utah and neighboring towns.

Be aware.

and be grateful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I've read several books on those Fundamentalist Mormons. The sect is certainly full of victims. Many are married off as young as 9 and 10 years old, but because the government is run by the same kind of loonies, no one is ever prosecuted for statutory rape.

It's amazing stuff like this happens in this country!